Monday, March 30, 2009

The Bacon Pit-za


I had some leftovers I needed to be rid of. Naturally I decided to get rid of it alongside some bacon. Looking over my ingredients, I saw a flartbread, a marinara sauce, and a sausage - and I knew I needed to whip up some improvised pizza.

What I used (feel free to substitute/improvise)
- 2 pitas, Greek-style (pocketless)
- A couple spoonfuls of Ragu
- 4 slices of kielbasa sausage
- 2 slices of bacon
- A handful of scallions, chopped
- A sprinkle of parmesan cheese (However, I would recommend a different cheese, like mozzarella)
- A pinch of garlic

Steps
1. Fry bacon and kielbasa in a pan or skillet to preferred doneness.
2. Fry pitas on one side, in the bacon grease, for about 1 minute.
3. Flip pitas over. Spread Ragu on top of pitas while the bottoms cook.
4. Sprinkle cheese on top of Ragu. Add bacon and kelbasa.
5. Fry scallions for 30 seconds in greasiest corner of the pan, then spread on pitas.
6. Sprinkle more cheese, as well as a pinch of garlic, on each pita.
7. Wait until cheese has melted (if applicable), then turn off heat and serve.

Diagnosis
Delicious! I was impressed with this one. I believe any flatbread + tomato sauce + meat + cheese coimbination will yield similarly magnificent results. The bacon is not the highlight of the dish, and indeed isn't wholly necessary, but the grease allows for a sizzling preparation that can never go wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment